Today Cody and Justin talked about various topics ranging from coaching/intern education, working in the private sector - how they got started in the private sector and how performance and rehab aspects work together, PRI concepts, how they teach set-up and execution in the squat and deadlift, and finally combine training and working for the 40y dash.
Cody and Justin are two great coaches and even better guys. They are very open to discussion and sharing ideas and are two people I look up to for continued education. You'll really like this episode as it's loaded with little nuggets.
- "We put together 14 modules for our interns and new coaches that they go through before they step foot on our floor"
- "It's important for coach and interns to feel what the athletes are doing, so they perform the workouts/exercises as feeling the movements make them better able to coach it"
- "The first step in our assessment is a long conversation to get to know the athlete, their goals, and really appreciate human behavior and get to know people to start to build trust and communication with the athlete"
- Most athletes are stuck in an extension position"
- "The most common thing I see is athletes being limited in Hip Internal Rotation and Hip Extension because they have the pelvis locked in APT and can't find movement in their pelvis and thorax"
- "Where you place the load in a squat, is very important in terms of getting adequate movement strategies"
- Setting up the deadlift - "We want to feel the ground with big toe, pinky toe, and heel -> then we actually want the knees to reach forward a little bit -> next we cue a posterior pelvic tilt to neutral -> exhale, get ribs in, back, and down -> finally on the ascend we want to PUSH not pull"
- "Set-up for any lift is about loading structures before starting"
- "Mechanical/technical problems are often initiated from poor postures/positions"
- "PRI has really given me appreciation for the tri-planar nature of movement, all movement operates in all 3 planes of motion"
- "We talk about PRI and how it's influenced us, but we're not just blowing up balloons and doing PRI correctives all day - the goal is to train and train hard. So all of these PRI correctives may only take 5-minutes of our sessions"
- "Any time you have the pelvis anterior tilted, you lose movement around the hip, specifically hip flexion. This means you'll lose front side mechanics during sprinting and end up using more backside mechanics"
- "Many of the mechanical issues we see for acceleration and top-end sprinting speed are actually a result of physical or positional restrictions. So just getting athletes posture and positioning of the pelvis and thorax go a long ways in improving mechanics"
- "Two huge misconceptions when teaching the 40y dash are staying low and patience"
- "There is no one answer when it comes to starting stance. Everyone is built different, with different strengths and weaknesses and their stance will mirror that"
- Twitter - @codyplof
- Instagram - @codyplof
- Facebook - Cody Plofker
- Twitter - @jmsb_strength
- Instagram - @jmsb_strengthtraining
- Facebook - Justin Moore