- Cost - I picked up one of the beta models, so the cost was only ~$150
- GCT - I love this application, something that a Just Jump Mat doesn't provide (The newer computers can provide it for the Just Jump Mat, but not the traditional computers).
- RSI - G-Flight immediately displays RSI, again another amazing tool that saves a ton of calculation time
- Since I picked up a beta model, it has cords and these can get in the way, are easily bumped, and overall annoying. The newer model DOES NOT have cords so thats a big upgrade.
- The two units cannot be very far apart otherwise the beams won't registered jumps, so the jumping "window" is usually only about ~20 inches wide. Jumpers can also NOT have any forward or backward motion of their jump otherwise they'll move outside the "window" of the beams. This leads to a few missed jumps.
- Again, my beta version gives jump height in cm - not inches. This is fine for research purposes but for relevancy to my athletes it's not useful, so I don't even use the G-Flight for jump heights - only RSI or GCT. The newer version does display inches, so much nicer for us Americans :)
Overall, the G-Flight is a really nice tool, and the final versions sound like they have removed many of the cons of the beta version, which is a sign of a company working to continue progress and make improvements. Personally, I still prefer the Just Jump Mat for ease, efficiency, inches, less missed jumps, and being able to do running jumps. Yes, the Just Jump Mat gives inflated numbers and is 3x the cost but for my purposes, it works. BUT if on a tight budget, the G-Flight would an ideal choice.
For my purposes, I really like the use of GCT and quick RSI readings - something the Just Jump Mat either can't do or takes time to calculate which slows down the flow of our sessions. So currently, my use of the G-Flight consists of measuring GCT of depth jumps or testing RSI - both of which are very valuable testing and monitoring tools.
Overall, for only $200, the G-Flight is well worth the money. For more info, check their website below...